March 10, 2009

Chapter 1 of Dragon Story (First one was Prologue)

I woke up to the trickle of light falling down onto my face, straight in my eyes.
I hate mornings.
I dragged myself up off of my bed, stretching as much as a cat would. I shook my wings out, tail swishing behind me, serpent tongue hissing as it licked around my eagle-like curve on my snout. As a dragon, you don't necessarily get to sleep on soft, human beds or have the luxuries of electricity, blankets, heat, or indoor plumbing. It's mostly a dark, dank cave with rats and small animals for food, and cold nights on a pile of rocks.
Not my idea of fun, and for those of you who like camping, I hope you get better soon, because you have to be MENTAL to like this.
Anyway, as I stretched my long neck up, down and all around, I thought of the reason I was a dragon- Tyler.
A wave of pain overcame me, filling me with a sorrow so deep that I cried for hours because of it. But today wasn't going to be one of those days.
I shook his memories out of my head, and walked out into the sun, blinded at first from the extremely bright light, but soon got used to the forest below me. It was early spring, where everything was green and alive, where birds were flying in from the south, the animals were coming out of their burrows, thin from hibernation, and perfect wind patterns for early morning flights.
I threw my wings out, straight out, and started running for the edge of the cliff I lived on right in front of me. My wings pumped up and down, gaining momentum, and almost lifted me straight up into the air before I even reached the jumping point. But then, as I jumped, I flapped even harder, and I was soon coasting on wind streams, not needing to flap as I normally did. I was getting hungry, so I scouted for food below me, my sensitive gray eyes peering into the green depths below. I saw a rather large animal moving, so I dropped like a stone toward it.
I loved the free-falling feeling, where you can control your speed by how much you release your wings, with the wind rushing past you and the ground closing in, like how a diver feels when she dives.
I then released my wings, fully out, and after the searing pain as the wings were almost wrenched out of their sockets, thought, 'Never again.'
I landed extremely light and noiseless on a nearby tree, searching for my prey that had moved since I free-fell.
There. I saw something rustle a bush in front of me, and I glided down to the ground to get a better look.
"AHH! Stupid branches! Why'd I even COME here?" a rather loud voice shrieked.
'English!!!' I thought, overjoyed. I even forgot that I was a dragon and started going toward his voice. Thankfully, my head decided no at the last possible second, and I shrank back into the undergrowth. And, also thankfully, I didn't realize that the voice was coming back towards me, and I was already covered thanks to going into the undergrowth.
As the man pushed though the bush a second time, I saw my first human in a LONG time. He was muscular, but not like a buff kind of man who spent WAY to much time at the gym- he was a handsome buff. His short, spiky hair was the color that mine used to be, and his eyes, oh his eyes... They were like staring into space, with dark brown eyes and flecks of white caught in there too. They were bottomless, but entertaining. He was also a good 6 feet tall, while my shoulder now reached 5, but my head could reach 8, thanks to my long neck.
At least when I kidnapped him, he wouldn't be taller.
Don't go blaming me for rights of humans, how kidnapping is wrong, all that stuff. When you're in the woods alone and you can't go home no matter what, and you have NO one to talk to, I think you'd kidnap a man once every few years too.
But, I always did it in a different way each time. The first was where I just nabbed him like- I couldn't say his name- he was. But, I then erased his mind after a few days because he was getting on my nerves, and I sent him on his way. The second was more planned. I hissed every time he got close to me, and he'd come closer, until I pounced on him, knocking him out. But, he wasn't good either, so I erased his mind too. And basically every other man I've captured has been either totally angry or totally frightened of me.
Hopefully, this one will be the one.
So, I tried to figure out how to get this one. Should I just nab him? No, I've already done that. Blow fire rings around the camp? No, I could cause a forest fire. Then, a cool idea came to mind.
I decided to go with that one.
As I was thinking, he kept hacking through the bushes and branches like Indiana Jones usually does, then, despite all better judgement, though it was the plan, I just walked right behind him and tickled his back with my tongue. As I said, pretty cool.
He whipped his head around, and his eyes went from vicious to the size of dinner plates. He scrabbled behind himself, tripping on unseen tree roots, because his eyes never left me. Backed up against a tree, he started to breathe heavily, close to hyperventilation. I then looked at him in sad, understanding eyes, going extremely slow toward him, showing that I wasn't going to hurt him when I bowed my head to the ground in front of him. he seemed to have gotten the message.
"What ARE you? A... dragon?" he murmured, coming closer to me, hand outstretched tentatively.
I purred, and nodded.
He laughed, but not for long. His hand finally reached my forehead, and he started stroking it like a cat. "I'm meeting a dragon. I'm PETTING a DRAGON!" he suddenly yelled. All of the birds flew up into the air at once, but he was staring straight into my eyes, and me into his. His eyes were gorgeous...
"Now, dragon," he suddenly said, serious, "Why have found me?"
I looked down, then did something like a cough. I made my tail point to my throat, and then I went closer to him and pointed to his. I then coughed again.
"You can't talk?" he whispered, sad.
I shook my head.
"Can you write? maybe?"
I shrugged my shoulders.
"Try it then!" He then got very excited and started clearing a space on the leaf-covered ground. When he was done, he pulled away from the area and stared intently at me. "Try it."
I looked at him, but decided that it was going fine so far. (Was he going insane?) So, I tried writing in the dirt. Using a claw, I roughly drew a-
"I... am... a... human..." he read over my massive shoulder, "My... name... is... Kathryn?"
I nodded furiously, excited as he was a moment ago.
"Well, um, how did you... Become a dragon, Kathryn? I'm Trevor, by the way."
I then wrote out a short response.
"I wished. I'll explain if you go with me," he read, extremely confused. "Where to?"
I pointed with my nose to the cliff close by. He whistled.
"That's gonna be one heck of a hike. You sure?"
I rolled my eyes, then wrote, "Not hike, RIDE. And yes, I live there."
He laughed. "Well, being a dragon doesn't seem to get rid of sarcasm. OK, well, let's go."
I then bowed down, and he swung his leg up and over my broad back. In fact, he seemed rather happy to get going.
"This good?"
I nodded. Then, I ran, finally happy in a LONG time.

No comments: